TAKEN IN is a handmade feature film about a man who must spend a weekend alone with his estranged teenage daughter at a roadside resort. It is here that Simon and Brooklyn must confront the issues that have driven them apart, and ultimately choose how they will move forward...together or alone.

TAKEN IN was written and directed by personal filmmaker, Chris White. It was made entirely with cash and in-kind contributions from friends and family. The story (co-written with his wife Emily), was inspired by Chris’ theatre work with students at a therapeutic boarding school. The film is dedicated to his own teenage daughter, Gibson.

TAKEN IN was filmed at South of the Border, Dillon SC USA in the Spring of 2011.

18 June 2011

Settling the Score

Colin Devlin is no stranger to film and television music. His song "The Heart Won't be Denied" was just used in the season finale of ABC's "Brothers and Sisters." I first encountered Colin's music on the BATMAN FOREVER soundtrack (which I owned on cassette, I believe). He and his brother appeared as The Devlins on that collection (that featured U2, Seal, and PJ Harvey as well) with a track called "Crossing the River." For TAKEN IN, Colin has recorded U2's "Staring At the Sun." It sounds amazing. The perfect ending to our film.

Boy & Bean is a Portland-based swing/jazz trio featuring Luke and Amber Short with Andrew Jones. I found them via Kickstarter. They needed funds to finish a recording, and I liked what I heard...so Emily and I donated a few dollars. During editing, I'd often play Boy & Bean's record. And eventually, it became clear that it was the perfect ambient music to underscore the Reptile Lagoon scene. (I'm hoping to work with them again on the next film!)

Josh McGill was recommended to me by an old friend and mentor. He told me that the Dallas-based musician was something of a prodigy...obsessively interested in recording technology, widely-varying musical tastes, a wise old soul. Josh and I talked and he went to work composing and recording the main themes for the film. The first time I heard his work, I knew he'd found the sound of TAKEN IN. And as we finish them film, it feels so good to know that he is on our team...bringing us in for a soft, safe landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment